My transfer was cancelled. Last Friday, the doctor monitoring my cycle (at the clinic where our embryos are) suggested I stop all drugs and start over. Given that there usually is a 12h flight between me and my embryos, and I’m not just going to fly over again in 1-2 months, this wasn’t a great option. I talked them into one last-ditch effort, increasing vaginal Estrace to 2x/day and hoping for the best. On Tuesday at yet another ultrasound, the lining was 7.2mm, so we thought we’re good to go. Unfortunately the doctor decided against a transfer, because there was no trilaminar pattern (despite having said on Friday that, at 7mm, she’d transfer even witout stripes).
As you can imagine, I’m frustrated and sad. Sure, I understand that the embryos are very precious, and that we only have a limited number of them. But I am not sure how much evidence there is that the lack of stripes is really critical. And it is very unlikely that we’ll come here for 6 single-embyro-transfers, or attempts to do so. Thus, while they would have looked as transferring now as “wasteful”, realistically, in a few years we may decide (for various reasons) that our clock for having more babies is done, and any embryos we have left will be discarded. So… I’m not convinced that the net outcome will be an different, and now we didn’t even get a shot at pregnancy. And on some level, I wonder how much their concern about their SART statistics plays into this…
I do realize that this is, at least in the world of IVF, a luxurious problem. In the past we have been rather lucky, and most elements of the process went smoothly. My transfer success rate has been stellar. Nevertheless I can’t help and be sad at this loss of opportunity.
There were many things that didn’t work out particularly well in this cycle. The communication between the two clinics was essentially non-existent – the local clinic only ever wanted to talk to me, not my embryo-storing clinic. And, although I have some biomedical knowledge, that led to more delays and annoyances than I care to repeat. So I’ll need to look for a new local clinic, and have a chat with them about how this communication will go, before starting another attempt.
There are some other complicated things going on, unrelated to fertility but still stressful, and to some extent related to our family’s future. I haven’t really blogged about them, but I might in the coming days. Though first of all, I very much look forward to holding SB again tomorrow evening, after an entire week without her. We talked on Skype yesterday, and she was so happy to see me, it was wonderful. Balm on my heart and soul.

8 thoughts on “cancelled

  1. Sorry about the disappointment. I would wonder how much of the decision was affected by their concern for their stats: from what I can gather, this absolutely does affect what clinics will attempt. And it does make one wonder if they are always making decisions in your interest. If it is bothering you, I would discuss before you do another cycle.

  2. Well big ole poop. That really sucks. I’m sorry. I have to agree that it sounds a bit like they’re being guided by stats more than anything, especially when the doctor had said they’d transfer over 7mm regardless. I’m sorry for this frustrating outcome.

    I assume moving the embryos between continents is an impossibility?

    I hope everything is okay family-wise and all the rest.

  3. Ah, bummer. I hope your lining cooperates better next round. I am always surprised how different it can behave month to month.

  4. I’m so sorry to hear that the transfer was cancelled, but I also would assume that this is one of the better looking embryos? So while yes, you do have more, maybe you would have a better shot of getting pregnant and staying pregnant with this one? Or maybe not because who the heck knows. Fingers crossed your lining cooperates next time!

  5. I’m sorry to hear that the transfer was cancelled. That’s hard no matter what, but especially when you aren’t even convinced it needed to be. Hopefully next time the process is a lot smoother and your lining cooperates!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s