Thanks so much for all your support!
Getting up before dawn this morning, I felt like the parents of the sick little girl in the new Star Trek movie.
There was still no fluid to be seen around baby A. We had really hoped to see at least a bit of fluid… (Does anyone know how long it takes for that to reaccumulate?) She wasn’t curled up in a ball as she’d been two days ago though, which I hope is good (because that was awful to see). The heartbeat seemed low to me – they didn’t measure it so I don’t know the numbers. Baby B still looks fine. My cervix was 2.5cm on the transabdominal US – we decided against transvaginal US because of the risk of infection. This makes it harder to get a good measurement, but as nothing will change because of that number anyway, it’s not worth taking a risk. The doctor concluded that it was “at least not worse”.
I’m still waiting to hear back on antibiotics – it appears that, before 24 weeks, this place really doesn’t do anything, although in the case of antibiotics the main reason seems to be “no data” (duh) and of course the risk of resistant pathogens. I’m thinking the benefits may still outweigh the risks in this case (but I’m not an MD). Hospital bed rest would be considered from 24 weeks on.
The prognosis they’re giving us still isn’t any better. Sigh. The doctor we saw today was also talking about all the problems preemies may have… it wasn’t exactly encouraging. From what I read online, this is typical – worst-case scenarios are mentioned, not success stories. We’ll have another scan in a week, also to assess growth. I hope we’ll make it until then (and much longer!).
To end on a more positive note – I have finally started to feel them move. Which is wonderful – it helps me cling to the hope that they can make it.